Saturday, October 23, 2010

Stranger at my Bedside

Marshall had a rough night. Everything was fine but he didn't go to bed til 1 am since he had a power nap earlier with his 'bad pump'. He tossed and turned most of the night (said he had a lot on his mind) and then the nurses would come in...... machines beeped, I had to beep nurse station of 'our beeping everytime'...LOL So i gave up at 3:40 am (Marshall finally settled then) and I was up til 6ish. I was on facebook, yada-yada.  One of the nurses told me I shouldn't be up.....I said "I know".

So, like I said I finally fell back asleep and was having a great sleep, fun dream (I was picking out make up and running it into my bathroom before Brian found out-it was fun picking out the makeup) and POOF!!!!! A light switch clicks on and a light is shining bright in my eyes! I groggly look up and see a strange woman who smiles at me (like a naa, na, na, na). It was soooo obvious I was asleep...and as she  sat down  asked if Marshall was sleeping?  I didn't understand her, so she repeated herself. I told her 'yes, he had a rough night.  We are both very tired!' She didn't understand me. So she asked 'what?'  I repeated it. I was still waking up.....as she sat down she took out a bible (you don't want to know what was going thru my slowly waking up brain), she asked that happened a lot (Marshall being tired and sleeping).....of course, yep, i couldn't understand her...so she repeated herself....I said "well, when he is tired and has been up most of the night, yeah, that happens and we both had a rough night!' well, I had to repeat myself...so I made it simplier this time....LOL! I asked "can I help you?" She didn't understand me and I repeated. she said "no

Calmly and slowly she took out her glass case, took out the glasses, got a skinny newspaper out of her bag. She's unpacking a bag with reading materials and is sitting at the end of my makeshift bed, in a chair looking right at me and is in between me and Marshall.

I had no idea what to do. I was confused, afraid ( have to admit), wished my husband was here.........do I go back to sleep(yeah right!), go get a nurse (which I was about to do!) This lady was definately not going to fill me in on what she was going to do, purpose or ANYTHING......so, finally she must have seen my puzzled face (it took her long enough-me being woken up and my reaction wasn't enough?) She asked if we have ever had a sitter? I asked "what?" (couldn't understand her - dang it) she repeated herself. I told her "I don't need a sitter-we are fine". She started to get a questioned look on her face, pulled out a piece of paper all folded up, and named off the room. I said 'yes' I was like 'who the heck ordered me a sitter, and why is she showing up at 7 am waking me up and has no problem with this?'

She gave me the name that was on her paper. 1.) I think it was a girl's name.  2.)with the name she named....to me.....I would have questioned it right off the bat...Marshall our casper, and me......nope we ain't @%^$#^#*(#@ (couldn't say the name to save my life) she asked marshall's name as if you could get that translated into another way......so, she said let me see. She packed up her things as slowly as she set them out, got up and left.  I  said "well, have a good day" she said thanks with her back to me as she left the room.

No, I'm sorry, no have a good day, NOTHING !!!!!! Marshall slept thru the whole thing, thankfully.....I am up writing about it and had to get some coffee, bc I am UP!

I just now found out that the patient here in this room before Marshall had a sitter, was a girl, AND HAS BEEN GONE FOR A WEEK.

I hope you laughed thru this, bc I will be when I am more awake!

3 comments:

  1. I laughed at the end. How completely creepy!! I'm not good with mornings, much less hospital mornings, I can't imagine what my reaction to that type of situation would be! Hang in there. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodness! LOL
    glad to see you blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridge You are an inspiration! You are a real woman raising an amazing family and doing it with STYLE! (even if you are groggy when you wake up!)
    Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete